Obama Promises Fluff But Sports Great Logo

Picture%201.png
Senator Barack Obama announced his candidacy for president today at the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois, where, symbolically, Abraham Lincoln once declared that “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”
I was moved, as I always am, by his soaring words, his intelligence, his integrity, and his eloquence. But aside from reinforcing in me that Obama is someone I want to and think I can believe in, the speech also reinforced for me that I need substance. Beyond the sweeping rhetoric, Obama’s speech left me feeling flat.
Unfortunately, Obama’s campaign seems to eschew the substance in favor of vague notions of hope and generational responsibility. Those are powerful notions, but I can’t think of a presidential candidate in recent history who hasn’t invoked them. Even worse is that Obama explicitly suggests that people who want to hear plans and specifics somehow “don’t believe in talking about hope“:

“There are those who don’t believe in talking about hope,” Obama told the crowd. “They say, ‘Well, we want specifics, we want details, and we want white papers, and we want plans.’ We’ve had a lot of plans, Democrats. What we’ve had is a shortage of hope.”

Honestly, this kind of rhetoric can start to sound a little Bushy. How can you even engage in a debate with a man who tells you that offering an argument is a sign that you’re not hopeful enough? I don’t get it.

And yet “talking about hope” seems to be his entire campaign theme so far. A recent article in the Post describes a campaign that is attempting to not be “identical to everyone else’s” and to exemplify his “next-generation message.” So, apparently, the “next generation” of politicians are those who speak so vaguely that their campaign messages could basically be my horoscope reading for February. “You will find yourself feeling more hopeful in February as a result of the speech of a major candidate for the 2008 presidential election.”

“If he tries to run a traditional campaign — that is run, staffed, managed and operated in a traditional way — he is playing to his opponents’ strengths, both in terms of going head-to-head where they’re going to be really strong, but also in terms of undermining a good chunk of his message,” said Chris Lehane, a former spokesman for Al Gore who is not currently on the payroll of any presidential campaign.

Basically, what “if he tries to run a traditional campaign … he is playing to his opponents’ strengths” means is that he’s going to lose. The article notes that Clinton has been building her campaign infrastructure for over ten years. Ten years, folks. And I kinda like her.

It remains to be seen how the kind of nontraditional campaign Lehane envisions would work in a round-the-clock news environment. Would Obama decline to respond to attacks? Or to skewer his rivals? Or to answer activists’ questionnaires? Or to give detailed answers about his views on policy? … For now, the answer is yes.
“I think he is very focused on the fact that he doesn’t want to lose his essential self in this process, and if he does — and if what he projects and delivers is just more of the kind of politics people have become accustomed to — it would be a disappointment to him, and to them,” Axelrod [his chief media strategist] said.

I think this kind of thinking is dangerous. Unless Obama can rhetorically box his opponents up and ship them away, there will be naysayers. We still have an entire primary campaign ahead of us — and it’s got traditions. Can you imagine this kind of rhetoric in a debate?
The man screams integrity. And yet, when his rhetoric comes down to discussing specifically the challenges we face, he just feels generic. In the interests of full disclosure, I have in fact donated to his campaign. But I donated because of what I feel could be, not because of what I think the likely disappointments will be.
Dig the Logo
08_logo2.jpg
Obama’s campaign may be completely fluffy at this point, but they’re doing the fluff really well. Look at the logo. While it retains the red-white-and-blue, it’s clearly different. It’s an “O,” Oprah style, but it’s also a sun rising over a landscape. It’s a powerful symbol and, well, something that clearly looks good on t-shirts.

4 Responses to “Obama Promises Fluff But Sports Great Logo”

1. Richard says:

I happen to love that logo. We’ll see if he can pull it off. A lot of hope behind him!

2. body building weight training says:

He is smart because he keeps his mouth shut, from the news wires:
    Democrat presidential hopeful John Edwards has upped the ante in his battle to gain ground on frontrunners Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, accusing them of not demonstrating leadership in their voting behaviour on the Iraq war.
    During a two-hour debate, staged in the crucial state of New Hampshire, Dr Edwards pointedly referred to the fact that neither Clinton or Obama spoke on the latest legislation to fund the Iraq war, choosing instead to cast their vote very late against further funding.
    The bill was passed but Iraq – and the past voting records of the candidates – remains the most divisive in the Democrat primary race.
    Edwards, who initially voted to allow President Bush to go to war, as did Senator Clinton, told his audience he wanted a firm timetable for the end of the war, and that it was time for honesty and leadership from the other candidates about their positions.
    “Senators Obama and Clinton did not say anything until they voted,” he said.
    Senator Obama retorted: “I agree it’s important to lead. I was opposed to the war from the start. So you are four and a half years too late.”
    Senator Clinton faced tough questioning over whether she had failed to read the 90-page detailed intelligence report on Iraq before she voted on the first bill authorising the war.
    Again she refused to answer the question directly, instead saying that she spoke to numerous contacts and advisers. “I feel I was fully briefed,” she said.
    Ms Clinton, who enjoys a big lead in the polls, continually tried to point out the similarities in the candidates’ positions, saying differences on issues such as health care, tax and even withdrawing troops were minor.

3. Joey Plazo says:

Of all the Presidential Candidates, I tip my hat deepest to Obama. He exudes flair, intelligence, elan and charisma. But those are frills. We elect presidents to lead, not to figurehead like a pretty emblem.
    He hasn’t given concrete action plans yet. Uh-oh. Warning flag! Folks who spew generalizations and motherhood statements hope their sweet words mean something great for everyone listening. It’s a recipe for votes; yet it doesn’t guarantee they’ll do a great job!
    Warmly
    Joey

4. Extreme Abs Workout says:

Let’s face it; even if your workout routine is top notch, without the proper diet, you won’t get the results you want. Although combining both diet and workouts together, like I have been doing for the past six weeks, you can really get an amazing six pack! Don’t waste your time on methods that don’t work. Look at this surefire guide to help your ab workout by clicking on: http://abworkoutsfor6pack.net/