Best anti-drunk driving campaign, perhaps ever.

Talking urinals. From The Associated Press:

SANTA FE – New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men’s restrooms around the state. The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.
“Hey there, big guy. Having a few drinks?” a female voice says a few seconds after an approaching male sets off a motion sensor in the device. “It’s time to call a cab or ask a sober friend for a ride home.”
Transportation Department spokesman S.U. Mahesh said the urinal cakes are a way to reach one group that’s a target of state safety campaigns. Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.
The devices were invented by Richard Deutsch. “The idea is based on the concept that there is no more captive audience than a guy standing at a urinal,” Deutsch said. “You can’t look right and you can’t look left; you’ve got to look at the ad.”

17 Responses to “Best anti-drunk driving campaign, perhaps ever.”

1. Bruce Alm says:

The Answer to the Problem of Drunk Driving, etc.
    by Bruce Alm
    The answer to the problem of drunk driving, etc. could be this; a permit for the purchase and consumption of alcohol beverages.
    This would not only be a major assault on the problem of drunk driving, but would also have an effect on virtually all other crimes such as these;
    murder, rape, assault, burglary, robbery, suicide, vandalism, wife beating, child beating, child molestation, the spread of aids, animal cruelty, etc., the list is endless.
    If this proposition was made law, there could be a major reduction in all these areas of concern, even though the emphasis concerning alcohol abuse seems to be drunk driving in particular.
    There could also be many other positive results; families healed, better work performance, booze money spent on products that would help the economy (we’ve all heard of the guy who spends half his check in the bar on payday,) would spare many health problems, etc.
    This new law could go something like this:
    Any person found guilty of any crime where drinking was a factor would lose the right to purchase and/or consume alcohol beverages.
    For a first misdemeanor, a three year revocation. a second misdemeanor, a ten year revocation. a third misdemeanor, a lifetime revocation. Any felony crime, an automatic lifetime revocation.
    Anyone caught drinking alcohol without a permit would receive a possible $1000 fine and/or jail sentence. those who would supply alcohol to people without a drinking permit (and possibly make money at it,) would also lose his/her right to purchase alcohol beverages.
    What wife or husband would buy an alcoholic spouse a bottle?
    What friend would give a problem drinker a drink at the possible cost of a thousand bucks and the loss of their own privilege? This could be a total discouragement to these would-be pushers.
    This permit doesn’t seem as though it would be a problem to put into effect. It could simply be a large X, or whatever, on the back of any drivers license in any state, to show who has been revoked, and cannot purchase alcohol.
    Most people of drinking age have a driver’s license, but one area that might be a problem could be New York City, where many people don’t drive.
    This problem could be resolved, however, by a license-type I.D. specifically for the purchase of alcohol beverages. Most, if not all states have these already for the purpose of identification.
    This could be a small price to pay for the saved lives of thousands of Americans each and every year.
    After this, it would simply be a matter of drinking establishments checking I.D.s at the time of purchase.
    In the case of crowded bars, they could simply check I.D.s at the door, as they do now.
    Would this be a violation of rights? There can be no argument here since they already check I.D.s of people who look as though they may not be old enough to drink.
    This could be a good saying, “If a person who doesn’t know how to drive shouldn’t have a license to drive, a person who doesn’t know how to drink shouldn’t have a license to drink.”
    Here are some other pluses to this idea:
    A good percentage of people in correctional institutions are there because of alcohol related offences . Because of this, court, penal, and law enforcement costs could drop dramatically.
    A.A., ALANON, MADD, SADD, etc., could become things of the past.
    What the alcoholic fears most, is the temptation to have that first drink, usually a spur of the moment type thing. Without the ability to do this, he/she is fairly safe. To start drinking again would almost have to be planned in advance. and to maintain steady drinking would be extremely difficult, in most cases.
    Even though A.A. members as a group don’t become involved in political movements, it seems as individuals, they would all be in favor of a situation like this. Any person who wants to quit drinking, even if never having been in trouble with the law, could simply turn in their license for the non-drinking type.
    A woman from MAAD, on the NBC TODAY show, said “One out of every ten Americans has a drinking problem, and that 10% consumes 60% of all alcohol beverages sold in the U.S..” If this is true, there could be financial problems for breweries, liquor stores, bars, rehab centers, etc., as well as lawyers, massive amounts of tax revenue ‘down the drain,’ and so on.
    But it doesn’t seem as though anyone would have a valid argument against a proposal such as this for financial reasons. To do so would be morally wrong, and could be likened to a drug-pusher attitude.
    Even with the problems this new law could present, it still could, in one sense, be considered the simple solution to the number one drug problem in the U.S. and elsewhere. Alcoholism.
    P.S.
    What ever happened to the skid row drunk?
    http://www.geocities.com/dwi_dui/index.html

2. DUI Laws says:

That’s too funny! I guess they have a point, they DO have a mans attention when he’s ‘standing’ there. I think I would bust out laughing if I ever heard a urinal cake tell me not to drink and drive… but if it did.. i’d also probably listen!!

3. David Peters says:

Hi…..Good post. When we decided to bring our father to an alcohol rehab, we were kinda doubtful. We knew he had problems with his drinking and drink driving, this both affected his career, family, and himself tremendously.
    But the thought of him leaving our home was keeping us off; we sent him, anyway. Now, I am glad that he is in his last month in the rehab and the treatment worked for him effectively. Thank God, we made the decision.
    So anyone who is trying to stop people from being an Alcoholic they have my full support, because this is a very hard thing to stop.
    – David.

4. Alcoholism says:

The “talking urinals” might work for people that are not very intoxicated but for those that are well over the limit, laughs might be the only effect.
    Hopefully, they will reduce DWI(DUI).

5. Ed Philips says:

Just like to say thankyou very much for all you time and effort in keeping
    this blog updated with this great information.
    It’s a pleasure reading this stuff, please keep it up……Ed
    Philips

6. Jo Tudhope says:

Jo Tudhope
    I have just read your post anti-drunk driving campaign and I find this recorded
    anti-DWI message very amazing.
    Please can anyone tell me where I can find any more information about this
    subject.
    Look forward to your reply……Jo Tudhope

7. Alchol Rehab says:

This is a very good idea. I think we can never stop trying to deter people from drinking and driving. I hope this will work, and maybe make someone rethink getting behind the wheel after a night of partying and drinking. Thanks for the post.

8. Johan says:

Our lawmakers and judges working overtime here. Of course it sounds funny and odd, but it just might work. Clearly if 75% of all DUI’s are committed by men then they should be targeted to get them to stop.
    I live here in las vegas and dui is all too prevalent on our streets. Touted as the Adult theme park, vegas is all about the fast life, drinking, drugs, gambling and women, and not necessarily in that order.
    I don’t know about taking urinal cakes but let’s keep our fingers crossed and see if it works.
    I have a dui blog and a website about dui. Not seeking sympathy but I was a victim. I can barely get into a car still. Scared me a lot.
    LasVegasNevadaDUI.com

9. Dallas DWI Lawyer says:

As a Dallas DWI Lawyer I must agree that this is one of the most original ideas I have seen to combat DUI and DWI.

10. Dallas DWI Lawyer says:

11. signs of alcoholism says:

At first reading this I thought it was a fantastic idea. That the shock factor alone would wake me up. I used to drink very heavily. However, as I thought about it more I realized that drunks make several trips to the bathroom. This would take away the shock value. I think it would become a spectacle with drunks dragging other people to the bathroom to have a laugh at it since they weren’t planning on driving right at the moment.
    It may be better to put it in the ladies room. Many of them will come out and tell their intoxicated date/spouse their driving.

12. alcoholic says:

Talking urinals wouldn’t have stopped me. A real drunk is going to be in that bathroom about once for each beer he drinks. That means the novelty will have worn off by the time he is ready to drive home.

13. alcohol rehabilitation says:

This is a terrific idea to help reduce drunk driving. BRAVO!

14. Lorenzo Orlando Caum says:

Consumption of alcohol is a contributing factor for weight gain in students. Additionally it develops into other types of bad habits.

Lorenzo
    http://lorenzocaum.com/blog/simple-tips-to-avoiding-the-freshman-15/

15. Billy says:

“Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.”

Maybe it’s true, but women are far more used to getting pills and drugs than men, so it doesn’t matter in the end. They don’t need to be drunk to commit as many fatal accidents as drunk men do.

___________
    Billy
    http://www.leakygutsyndromesymptoms.com

16. Stella says:

I think those talking urinals will only make them laugh. They actually place the campaign at the right place but they need something more dramatic to leave an impact.

Stella

17. Kelly says:

Not sure how effective they would be. A good friend of mine recently needed the services of a NJ DWI lawyer. He makes decent money at his job and we had always suggested to him that he needs to call a taxi when he wanted to party. But he never listened. I don’t think talking urinal cakes would have changed his mind.