Google Releases “My Maps”

Today, Google Maps released a new tool called My Maps. It allows you to create and share personalized, annotated maps. You can mark your favorite places, as well as draw lines or shapes to highlight paths or specialized areas. There is a great HTML function that allows you to add your own text, photos, and even videos to points on your maps.

While mashups are nothing new, this is the first time this function has been truly accessible to Google’s non-techie users. As usual, Google (aka Stanford) developers have designed an interface that makes it really easy to get started. I created a map for My Workouts as part of my Couch-to-5K Running Plan in less than ten minutes. It’s only week one of my training, but I can tell this is going to be a great tool to help me track my progress.

There are tons of other uses, beside running/jogging paths. It makes me wonder what kind of Stanford-related stuff could be done with this. For inspiration, check out some of these that have popped up already: