Stuart Baimel for Senate

facebook%20ad%204.jpg
My name is Stuart Baimel and I am pleased to be running for Senate this year. I recognize that the ASSU cannot do everything, and promising policies that will never happen (despite student-government promises every year, Dead Week remains alive) is not the best way to go about this campaign. Instead, I want to focus on policy issues that have a significant and attainable impact on student life.
One of my primary objectives for next year’s Senate is to promote the arts. I’ve spoken to the members of many arts groups, large and small, and the two complaints I hear over and over again are a lack of funding, and partially as a result of that, difficulty with publicity. I believe that the ASSU next year can do a far better job of funding the arts, a sphere of campus life that should not have the funding problems that it currently does. The ASSU, in addition, has a formidable publicity apparatus that could easily be used to promote arts events such as performances, SOCA’s Art Affair, and ongoing exhibits.

A second issue that forms a component of my campaign is the state of the Band. I am not, or have ever been, a member of the Band, but I appreciate its prominence and importance in the Stanford culture. I believe that the Band was handled roughly by the Administration and although the matter seems to have now passed, it could very well come up again the in future. The controversy over the band seems to have receded in the collective memory once the football season ended. It was simply unacceptable for the ASSU to let the Daily take a stand on the issue while doing nothing itself. This cannot happen again for the Band, or any other student group.
For the Daily’s coverage of the Band issue in the fall, see here, here, and here.
I’ll be posting again on this blog before the election, but you can follow my campaign at my blog.
Stuart for Senate.
It is time for a change.
End social restrictions.
Defend the Band.
Promote the arts.
Support sustainability.
Improve student services.

13 Responses to “Stuart Baimel for Senate”

1. Brian Middleton says:

After reading your article about Ron Paul being insane, I really hope you don’t ever get to be in any public office. It would be frightening.

2. Rashid Ahmed says:

Stu, after reading your diatribe against Paul, and how poorly it was written, I HOPE NO ONE VOTES FOR YOU. Even public office at Stanford would be a disgrace.
    I can understand those that disagree with Paul – but silly smears and all out lies make Fox News seem reasonable to me.

3. Buck says:

You idiot. Youve slamed the only true American running for the presidency. Stay with fox noise,their audience is just stupid enough to agree with your insane ideas.

4. dfw says:

Want to hear a joke? Stuart Baimel for Senate. LOL.

5. Chuck says:

What a moron! Stuart wake the hell up. Your views do not represent a majority of anyone. You have insulted the only politician with a sense of morality! Ron Paul is a good and decent man. Stuart when you attack a decent man it will haunt you forever. We will not forget. I guess if you attack a decent man you might be trying to avert attention away from yourself. A fool shouts at the good men and then eats his crow!

6. Charles1123 says:

Anyone that attacks a man like Ron Paul is a low-life. Stuart you are a putz! If you have a problem with the Constitution get the hell out. I am tired of politicians that abuse their powers and the retards that stand behind them. Go straight to hell Stuart.

7. shamoik says:

Stuart for Senate.
    IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE:-)
    End social restrictions.
    Defend the Band.
    Promote the arts.
    Support sustainability.
    Improve student services.

8. ixeos says:

You don’t stand a chance in any election. Instead of doing any research or investigation all you do is spew whatever comes into your vacantly bankrupt mind. Who wants a candidate that isn’t willing to look at the source instead of just shooting from the hip? Quit now while you’re ahead.

9. Joe says:

There are one too many U’s in that sign.

10. EB says:

First up, I’m from Australia and have no dog in your race over there as far as elections/parties/economy/etc go.I have to say however that after reading your piece on Ron Paul (who from an outsiders view seems mostly rational unlike most of the other candidates) I wouldn’t vote for you in any position of responsibility if your tactics and core values are to be consistent with those shown in your writings. I want leaders who can discuss and debate reasonable and logical positions without resorting to childish behavior, name calling, and a seemingly single-minded determination to spew out self-serving opinions in place of easily researched facts.
    Good luck in your future political career and don’t forget that this and your other articles will be archived for future use by your opponents in the future
    EB

11. Person says:

Dude, After reading the Ron Paul article I really wouldn’t vote for you. I’d rather gamble on just voting for another random candidate I know nothing about. Probability is that given they are a stanford student they will probably be somewhat decent.
    You on the other hand have proven to be incapable of forming a logically sound argument. Both your political commentary and article on Ron Paul lack any critical thinking and spew the same views that everyone else does.
    So I will just take the chance and vote for someone random, rather than ensure someone incompetent takes the chair.

12. car id says:

Promoting Bands is the only good idea from your programm, among young artists there are lots of talented people, who can play or sing, unlike the larger part of our contemporary artists who don’t even know what the published music is.

13. car id says:

http://www.carid.com