A Review of the Americone Dream

You may not know this, but housed at a Safeway or Molly Stones near you is a new Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor named after late night talk show host Stephen Clobert of the Colbert Report. A fan of the late night show, I decided to try “Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream” ice cream to see if I liked it.
americone2_ed%20%28Small%29.JPG
(yes, this is the actual carton I tried)

The Ben & Jerry’s website bills this as “…a decadent melting pot of vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and a caramel swirl.”
Ice cream flavor preference is a highly subjective experience and while I liked this ice cream, it didn’t make my top 5 or even top 10 list of pints I would buy. I’m a caramel lover, and I found the ratio of caramel swirl to ice cream underbalanced for my taste and would have preferred chocolate covered waffle cone pieces to fudge-covered.
I bought this carton last week, and it is still in my freezer half eaten while on the other hand the sample size (the 3.5 oz tiny cartons that have been popping up in stores lately) carton of hagen-dazs coffee ice cream I bought with this carton and the two sample size cartons of strawberry cheesecake ice cream cartons I bought 2 days ago have already been consumed.
However, if you’re a fan of the Colbert Report you might want to try this ice cream yourself, and, oh yeah, those sample size cartons of ice cream that have been popping up in stores ($1/3.5 oz) are pretty nifty too.

One Response to “A Review of the Americone Dream”

1. Galen says:

this is from the website:

Recognizing that we, as a country, are at a time in our nation’s history where we need to reach across the aisle to people of all political ideologies — the left-leaning liberals at the company’s headquarters in Vermont felt it was fine to combine forces with the media man-of-steel. The company adds there are many similarities between Colbert and themselves. “He’s about political activism, so are we. He stands up for what he believes in, so do we. He supports Bill O’Reilly, and we… think he has a right to his opinion,” says ice cream Co-founder, Jerry Greenfield.
    Colbert believes AmeriCone Dream can make a difference. “I’m not afraid to say it. Dessert has a well-known liberal agenda. What I hope to do with this ice cream is bring some balance back to the freezer case.”

hilarious.