So, I’ve always felt like I had a good sense of the arts events on campus, due to my involvement with SOCA, Art Affair, the art and music departments, my friends and various classes I’ve taken across the breadth of the University during my undergrad, but recently, as I am moderating a comprehensive arts & entertainment calendar this school year, I have discovered I had NO IDEA how many film events, screenings, festivals, auditions and productions take place on campus each year.
After doing a little investigative work, and looking back through the calendar for the year, pinging the Stanford Film Society list, and sifting through websites and events, I’ve put together a (hopefully) complete list of the festivals and regular screenings that take place on campus this year – next year, who knows?
- Stanford Student Film Festival (spring)
- Reel Black Film Festival (spring)
- Pumpkin Pie Film Festival (winter)
- Spinning Wheel Film Festival (winter)
- UNAFF (fall)
- Reel to Reel (short films by MFAs)
- Arab Film Festival (fall)
Film Series Screenings:
- Greek – Iranian – Turkish – Romanian film series at Bechtel
- French Silent Film Series (Hosted by David Giovacchini, Stanford University Libraries. Sponsored by the French and Italian Department, Stanford University.)
- Middle East Film Series (Hosted by David Giovacchini, Middle East Collection, Stanford University Libraries. Sponsored by the Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies, and the Middle East Collection of the Stanford University Libraries.)
- Japanese Film Series
- Weekly Screenings from Stanford Newtype
- French and German film series at Bechtel
- Spanish Film Series on Thursday nights, in the History Corner (Sponsored by Iberia Association)
- Flicks, of course.