The Leadership America Needs Desperately

1101070528_400.jpg

Everywhere Al Gore goes, people implore him to run for President. “We have dug ourselves into a 20-ft. hole, and we need somebody who knows how to build a ladder. Al’s the guy,” says Steve Jobs of Apple. “Like many others, I have tried my best to convince him. So far, no luck.”
“It happens all the time,” says Tipper Gore. “Everybody wants to take him for a walk in the woods. He won’t go. He’s not doing it!”
Jessica Usborne, an audience member at one of Gore’s talks, stood up and asked The Question. “Given the urgency of global warming, shouldn’t you not only educate people but also help implement the changes that will be necessary—by running for President?”
Gore understands deeply the damage done to America’s institutions and reputation by the Bush Administration, and has faith that the American public sphere that has permitted Bush to ride roughshod over our Constitution will be restored gradually by the Internet, regardless of who the next several Presidents will be. But there’s nothing like a true leader, and I believe there is no one more up to the huge challenges facing the next President than Al Gore.
I wish he would run. Not Hillary. Not Obama.
Al Gore.

4 Responses to “The Leadership America Needs Desperately”

1. Jason says:

Please run Al! He’s got a new book out too – it’s called “The Assault on Reason”. Check out an Time Magazine excerpt here.

2. Anthony Sanchez says:

Wow, that’s a great excerpt. His academic side really shows -but that’s good. We need more intelligent and reasonable candidates.
    By the way, if you’re a Communication Major, everything he says in that section resonates with most of our readings and lectures. I find that funny.

3. Gilbert says:

I prefer Wes Clark to Gore, but both–along with Richardson–are demonstrated leaders. The problem for Clark and Gore is that if they run, everything they say and do will be seen more through a political lens than a substantive policy lens.
    They could probably do more by holding off on an announcment. Gore wants a consensus on Global warming and Clark wants a consensus on reasonable foreign policy. As candidates, they would be less effective at building that consensus. Every discussion we have now is perverted by the 2008 elections. The early campaigning is bad for governing–as we see by McCains 42 consecutive missed votes.

4. Pico says:

I am fully in your camp with this idea and for the same reasons. My hope is that none of the leading candidates emerges with a majority of the delegates. And — assuming the convention rules I learned still apply — the convention would then be thrown wide open. Delegates are then free to vote for the person they want, and an unstoppable Draft Gore movement arises and spreads. It could happen. The key — if I’m correct about the rules — is that Hilary and Barrack have to run to a stalemate. … I am strongly convinced that Gore is the right man, and this is the right time. Worse comes to worse, he’s next Sec’y. of Interior.