Goodbye Stanford Democrats (c/o ’07)

I first became involved with the Stanford Democrats back in 2003. There was a lot of frustration with the direction our country was headed and a growing desire for change, particularly if you weren’t a Republican. My social circle at the time–mostly scientists–was not necessarily the most politically active and the Stanford Dems was a great outlet to go from talk to action. There was a lot of excitement and the Stanford Dems was a great group to be a part of. I never fail to mention that, in December of that year, the current Dems president (Dylan Mefford) was able to get John Kerry to campus which catapulted Kerry to the Democratic nomination.
Starting in 2004, I became increasingly involved with the group coordinating with different campaigns (Kerry for President, Boxer for Senate, Eshoo for Congress, Ira Ruskin for Assembly, … ). I remember starting the Students for Kerry group that, with a lot of work by Marie Jonas, ended up taking about 150 students to Nevada to canvass. I also remember Jen Haskell and I being the first people in the state to canvass for Ira Ruskin’s relatively poor Assembly campaign (his opponent was a billionaire). There was that botched trip to SF to help Barbara Boxer that few probably remember. So many memories.
Naming everyone I enjoyed working with would take too long. There are several former Stanford Dems presidents (Marie, Nell, Bobby) graduating this year and it has been great getting to help and or pester each of them. Many of the current and past board memebers (including blog founder, Galen) also contributed to a great time and a real learning experience. There are other people from different years, but c/o ’07 started with the Stanford Dems at the same time I did back in ’03-’04 and most of us had a great political journey together. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you say hi from time to time without asking for a political contribution :o).

One Response to “Goodbye Stanford Democrats (c/o ’07)”

1. Marie says:

Aww, makes me miss home. Will miss you Gil, and the Stanford Dems!