My Additions to the Class of 2007 Time Capsule

It was Thursday before graduation. Senior Dinner on the Quad that night had been somewhat chaotic, but ultimately delicious and a nice opportunity to say goodbye to friends and reminisce on the old days.
My friend (who asked to remain anonymous) and I, doing quite well for ourselves after several glasses of wine, decided to take a stroll around the Quad. Oh, our beautiful Quad.
Once we passed under an arch to start walking through the arcades, it didn’t take us very long to reach the plaques and time capsules of years past, and soon we came upon the placeholder for the 2007 plaque, which was covering our class’s time capsule.
DSC04611.jpg
I had received the e-mails from our class Presidents requesting “suggestions” for items to go into the time capsule. Because every other request for suggestions from the Presidents had been disappointing (hello Gioia), I hardly even paid attention, and didn’t send in any ideas.
But as I stood there looking at the covering over the capsule, I suddenly regretted missing an opportunity to make a mark on the history of the Class of 2007. We attempted to remove the covering over the capsule.
Surprisingly, it came right off. We didn’t know it at the time, but most of the “official” items going into the time capsule had been removed for the night following the capsule ceremony, while the plaque was not yet sealed in place. All they had left behind was a green Energy Crossroads Conference bag, a crumpled dollar bill, unattractive women’s lingerie, and some other stuff.
DSC04609.jpg
Feeling that the capsule was overly female and not gay enough, we set ourselves on a mission to find and bring back items that would more adequately represent the Class of 2007. To be sealed in our Time Capsule for all of time.
Here’s what we came up with:

&
DSC04615.jpg
A gay pride flag from the LGBT center. Notice how someone also slipped in a poster while we were off on the Row looking for things to put in. Not sure what it’s for… but hey, at least we weren’t the only ones taking matters into our own hands.
DSC04616.jpg
Some orange Gap underwear I had been wearing during the dinner.
DSC04618.jpg
A Google mousepad for the 50 million Stanford seniors hired by Google this year…
DSC04619.jpg
…and a bag of Gushers. Given that someone slipped a piece of pizza into a previous year’s capsule, I don’t feel so bad about this one. Who knows, maybe the Gushers will still be good when an earthquake busts open the time capsule in the year 2933.
And finally:
grad_plaque.jpg
The capsule—and my orange underwear—sealed in forever by Roy Cervantes of Grounds Services just hours later.

3 Responses to “My Additions to the Class of 2007 Time Capsule”

1. Megan says:

wow.
    What do you mean the “official” stuff had been removed after the ceremony????? so they ask you to put stuff in, and then they remove it???

2. Galen says:

I meant to say “temporarily.” My assumption is that the official items were replaced before the plaque was sealed in place.

3. Interlude for Women says:

What? if you run out of lingerie find more here