Tragedy Strikes Wilbur?

This evening around 7, firetrucks were seen outside of Wilbur. Later, paramedics loaded someone into the back of a paramedic firetruck.
two.JPG

Paramedics
one.JPG
Paramedics Loading Someone Into Their Truck.
three.JPG

5 Responses to “Tragedy Strikes Wilbur?”

1. Nick says:

Is this known to be different than any other emergency call to a dorm? I mean, I’ve seen scenes like this up and down Escondido at least once a week. I’m in an internal debate whether or not I feel this is respectful to the person on the stretcher or not. But otherwise I’m curious what makes this emergency call more blog-worthy than the countless others?

2. John says:

First, I have to asks why you are troubled over this being respectful. Can you actually see who the person is in the stretcher? Could you honestly tell at first glance someone was even being put into the stretcher if there weren’t a caption?
    Second, how many emergency calls with several emergency vehicles are there outside the dorm every night? I lived on campus for four years and I can’t say I ever found that to be a common occurence.

3. evilbunnytoo says:

First – I respected the person on the stretcher’s privacy by not getting a close-up picture and by not trying to find out personal details about who they were.
    Second – I was unaware that emergency calls are routine at Stanford undergrad dorms.
    The fact that an emergency call is routine is actually quite disturbing if you think about it:
    (a) because they are never reported in the Daily Police Blotter (I mean there are lots of reports of stolen bikes and DUIs but not the rash of paramedics calls you describe); and
    (b) In most places this is a rare event. In my undergrad experience emergency calls were quite rare and while living on campus in the grad dorms they seemed equally as rare.
    This brings up a question – “What are the undergrads doing that brings paramedics to their doorsteps multiple times in a week.” Whatever it is, it probably needs to be addressed if paramedic calls are such a normal weekly event that people regard them with a blasé attitude.
    What was disturbing about this whole thing was the guys who walked by the scene and made a comment to his friend about possible scenarios – attempted suicide was one of the options he rather cavalierly presented as one of the two best bets. As if an attempted suicide by dorm mates was just another routine and tiresome event students have to undergo.

4. Stephen says:

Just to respond to your post. I have lots of friends who attend/ attended other schools who can attest to the fact that emergency room visits are indeed a commonplace (probably twice a month at a conservative estimate). The equation is quite simple of you think about it
    + Underage kid
    + Easy access to liquor
    – Experience drinking
    – Knowledge of limits
    – Parents
    = Emergency room visit

5. kupatv says:

Second, how many emergency calls with several emergency vehicles are there outside the dorm every night? I lived on campus for four years and I can’t say I ever found that to be a common occurence
    owner : kupatv