There are an estimated 250,230 new breast cancer cases for 2008, and an estimated 40,930 breast cancer deaths are expected in 2008. (American Cancer Society Cancer Facts & Figures 2008) Researchers have discovered more than 20 factors that increase the risk of breast cancer. Awareness of both these risks and early signs of breast cancer may prevent breast cancer mortality. And though a cure has not yet been found, the search for a cure continues!
With this in mind, we (a team of 13 Stanford students) entered the Stanford Entrepreneurship Week Innovation Tournament– an international challenge to create as much “value” as possible out of rubber bands in six days (eweek.stanford.edu).
Our entrepreneurial venture??? RubberBandTogether (RubberBandTogether.com).
Yes, we are setting a record for the WORLD’S LARGEST RUBBER BAND BALL, CREATED BY THE MOST PEOPLE IN 24 HOURS! Each rubber band on our RubberBandTogether ball represents another person banding together with us to spread breast cancer awareness and search for the cure.
We are creating “value” in three ways:
1. Social value: Each person who joins RubberBandTogether is another commitment to spreading breast cancer awareness.
2. Economic value: We are encouraging people to help search for the cure by make donations towards Susan G. Komen for the Cure (http://cms.komen.org/komen/Donations/index.htm).
3. Entertainment value: Don’t you want to see us set a record???
Now we need your support to help us create value!
Joining RubberBandTogether is easy! Just follow these steps:
1. Follow this link: RubberBandTogether.com
2. Enter your name and click “Join the Cause”.
3. Add your rubber band to the RubberBandTogether ball, and watch as your contribution helps to spread breast cancer awareness and search for the cure!
4. Make a donation towards Susan G. Komen for the Cure if you can. If you can’t, just commit to helping us spread breast cancer awareness.
5. Share this link with your friends and help the RubberBandTogether ball keep growing.
6. Add the facebook app: http://apps.facebook.com/rubberbandtogether/