Your Housing Assignment

Friday, August eighth was a monumental day for the incoming freshman of the Class of 2012. Tears were shed in both glee and sorrow. Since the last mailing received on June 27th, the incoming frosh, including myself, have all been anticipating the day where yet another piece of information would be shared to bring us closer to New Student Orientation on September 16th. Rooming assignments haunted me since August began: would I be roomed near my Admit Weekend friends, in THE Branner, the dorm every incoming frosh seemed to be hoping for, near the library, or in the middle of nowhere? Nightmares seemed to occur each night, in which my roommate was incompatible with me and everyone in my dorm was rude, introverted, and unhygienic. Well, this message came rather rapidly, appearing in our stanford webmail inboxes. I immediately clicked on the link to see my future.

This is what I opened up to find:

Your Residence Assignment. You have been assigned to Paloma House in Florence Moore Hall (commonly called Flo Mo). Paloma is an all-freshman house in which men and women live on the same corridors. Approximately 60 students live in the house, including upperclass staff. Most freshmen occupy double rooms. Bathrooms are located on hall corridors.

Flo Mo consists of seven small houses: Alondra, Cardenal, Faisan, Gavilan, Loro, Mirlo, and Paloma. With 470 total students, the complex offers the best of small- and large-group living. The complex includes both all-freshman and four-class houses. Flo Mo is divided into two sides East Flo and West Flo with resident fellows (live-in faculty or senior staff members who guide the life of the house) serving each side. Paloma is in West Flo, along with Gavilan, Loro, and Mirlo. Each house in Flo Mo has its own lounge, dining room, and other common areas, providing popular gathering spaces for residents. The three houses in East Flo are home to the program in Structured Liberal Education. Each house in Flo Mo is named for the Spanish word for a type of bird. Paloma means dove or pigeon. Lore has it that Florence Moore, the building’s namesake, made her donation for the hall’s construction on the condition that ice cream be served in the dining hall each day.
What is FloMo?! What does all that mean, anyways? Nothing but confusion set in, and disappointment when I realized that out of the fifty people I’ve conversed with via telephone since Admit Weekend, only one other person was placed into Paloma with me. Facebook lit up the spotlight for all those whom received Branner, and all those that seemed to be lost in FloMo. I was perturbed because I didn’t choose SLE, but thought all of FloMo was SLE!

After careful contemplation, however, I’ve come to realize that it’s not about the location of the dorm, but who’s in it! In Paloma so far I’ve met a Varsity Crew member, an extreme Soccer player, two people trained in ballet since the age of three (one male, one female), and a lad from London! So this next year will be filled with complete ridiculousness and adventure, and I cannot say that I am displeased at ALL with the location of my dorm. New faces=new expeditions=fun for all! I’m just ready for September 16th and the start of a brand new life.

11 Responses to “Your Housing Assignment”

1. Sig says:

Mike Sanchez!
    You’re awesome!

2. Karyn says:

I love you Mike Sanchez! Soon to be catwalk tanning-interior decorating-streetsoccer playing-hill running-big screen tv watching-sombrero wearing-randomly adventuring-smoothie drinking dormbuddy!!!

3. amanda says:

yayy for housing assignments! and finally ending the dread of built up anticipation and nightmares. haha.
    but you made such a good point at the end. it’s not about where you live but what you make of it and the peole that you meet. you’re going to have such an amazing time in paloma!!

4. Ben says:

Hey Bro! I totally feel you! I was placed in a 4-year dorm (not my first choice) but after talking with my Uncle who once upon a time stayed in Soto for two years and one of my friends who I’ve know since I was in elementary school (now a senior at Stanford) who also stayed in Soto for two years, I have concluded that’s I’ll be real happy there. Not only will I be able to dorm hop because of the fabulous location (and thus be visiting you frequently in FloMo), I’ll get to know upperclassmen as well. You’re always welcome to come chill with me in my dorm or whenever I go door to door from dorm to dorm. It’ll all be fantastic! Catch you in a few weeks bud! Over and out…

5. Ben says:

6. Sam says:

Haha Mike Sanchez! No doubt we’re gunna have a great year. Flo Mo is where it’s at!!!!!

7. Mina says:

I know a Paloma RA. She’s awesome. You’re gonna have an awesome time.

8. Mariana says:

MikeSanchez!!
    yay for housing assignments!!
    you and karyn and the rest of the gang will have an amazing time in Paloma and you’re always welcome to come crash in my dorm!
    see you soon

9. Emma says:

You’ll enjoy Paloma. I was a frosh there 29 years ago (even then Branner was the desired frosh dorm but each residence has its own soul). You’ll learn the legends (why was it originally built on stilts, why is ice cream served at every dinner).
    BTW the Paloma theme song my year was “My Paloma” sung to the tune of “My Sharona”. Our music tastes lacked a certain something.

10. kolera says:

thanks
    dizi izle | klip izle

11. kolera says:

thanks
    komedi | dizi izle