Sprout Cafe on Uni, a Review

After running laps on the Stanford track, a friend invited me to dinner at Sprout Cafe, one of the newest restaurants to hit the downtown Palo Alto dining scene.
As somewhat of a foodie myself, I wasn’t sure what to expect — was this going to pablum, bland, or food for once executed with some savoir-faire? Fortunately it was the latter, and am happy to say that I highly recommend that students and Stanford visitors alike visit this burgeoning new cafe.
Sprouts on Uni
Located right next to American Apparel on 168 University Ave, Sprout Cafe is a shiny new restaurant (4 months old!) run by a Vinh Vi, a former civil engineer and graduate of the California Culinary Academy.
As one of the editors of an online Guide to Sustainable Deliciousness at Stanford, I interviewed Sprout Cafe owner Vinh about his experience running this new, local business.
Vinh stressed that he and his peers worked hard to ensure that the food served was prepared with the freshest local and organic produce possible. I could tell that the food was made with love, as I quickly dived into my Seared Ahi Tuna salad with black beans, crunchy red onions, and a casual but tasty balsamic / olive oil dressing on the side (I designed my own salad, but sandwiches are available and soon, entrees will be on the menu). The bread, which came from the reknowned Acme Bay Area bakery, was also a delight, which is rare to find for such an affordable cafe on University.
Vinh told me that he wanted to strive to offer great food at reasonable prices, and even mentioned to me that Stanford students are currently eligible for a 10% discount if you show your student id card. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling a bit hungry just writing this blog post!
If you’d like to get (one mile) off campus, I strongly suggest you give Sprout Cafe a try. They serve organic salads, gourmet sandwiches on Acme (!) bread, fresh squeezed juices and organic teas. Finally, catering is available for student groups who want to make a tasty, local, and sustainable choice in the foods they serve!
(In my experience, Stanford Catering has a way to go in these domains, but lets do hope the winds of freedom and sustainability do blow up their way some time.)
Sprout Cafe, 168 University Ave next to American Apparel (between Ramona and Emerson)
(For phone number, hours, and more details, see the Palo Alto Online review or the high ratings on Yelp.com.)

3 Responses to “Sprout Cafe on Uni, a Review”

1. Poker leren spelen says:

That sure looks good. Is that a glass of vodka or water?
    As an exchange student I experienced the American student drinking habits are probably just as bad as our Dutch! πŸ˜‰
    Good luck with your blog.

2. lwu says:

Tis cucumber flavored water I think!

3. Alex says:

I went last night to Sprout based on your review. I liked it a lot. I got a greek salad with chicken and a lemonade for a reasonable price. I will probably go back again asap.