Stanford Football Crushes USC

gerhart2211048.jpeg.jpg
Two years ago, Stanford’s football team needed a 4th and 10 one-handed catch in the endzone to defeat perennial football powerhouse USC. This year, the team not only upset USC again, but did it in style–winning by an improbably large 55-21 margin.
Granted, this win is slightly less heroic since Stanford (now 7-3) is actually a good team this year with an impressive record, and USC (now also 7-3) seems to be slowly fading from the heights they reached with Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, and Carson Palmer. But USC football is still USC football, and Stanford football is still Stanford football, so any victory over the Trojans is impressive nonetheless.

Running back Toby Gerhart (pictured), whose play has pushed him into possible consideration for the Heisman trophy, added to his resume 178 yards and 3 touchdowns. Gerhart had help from quarterback Andrew Luck, who threw for another two touchdowns.
This win not only propels Stanford further up the Pac-10 echelon but also ensures that Stanford will be bowl-bound for the first time in recent memory. Stanford? Bowl-bound? Something sounds strange here, but with two routs of top 25 teams in a row, this year the football team might actually have the ability to win a bowl game as well.

3 Responses to “Stanford Football Crushes USC”

1. tradeshow display says:

CONGTATULATIONS. that warms my heart. I had an operation at the Stanford teaching hospital a long time ago so I consider myself an alumnus of sorts. I actually live in So Cal now so you would think I would root for SC. I know a lot of people who went to SC and the are good people but every Trojan I have ever met will always find a way to let you know they went to USC within minutes of meeting you. It gets obnoxious after awhile.
    I always like to see someone else win sometimes.
    Hats off to you.
    Bill

2. Robert says:

Just thought I’d share a little something I made in honor of the stomping Stanford provided:
    http://tinyurl.com/whatsyourdeal

3. The Big Preview « Daily Axe says:

[…] win. USC, bitter from their pathetic showing in the Coliseum against the Cardinal last season, will be amped up to beat the crap out of Jim Harbaugh’s side in Stanford Stadium. But Stanford […]