A Good Day for Intelligent Athletes

NCAA_Cornell_Temple_B_Spin(2)_20100319105820_320_240.JPGIt’s always nice when the nerdy kids show up the jocks: Ivy League champions Cornell–who were handily beaten by the Lopez twins in 2008–upset 5th-seeded Temple in the first round of the NCAA tournament today. As the New York Times points out, this is the first time an Ivy League team has won an NCAA tournament in 12 years–or, in other words, when Celine Dion, Aerosmith, Shania Twain, Cher, and Run DMC occupied the top 5 chart positions of the year.
And, of course, it’s even nicer when the nerdy kids from Stanford show up the jocks: Heisman runner-up Toby Gerhart posted the highest score for running backs on the Wonderlic exam, the NFL’s equivalent of an applied intelligence test.
What is the Wonderlic? The Wonderlic test is a 12-minute, 50 question exam aimed at evaluating a prospect’s problem-solving abilities.
Gerhart scored a 30. For comparison’s sake, Cal’s Jahvid Best scored a 24, and almostfellow Heisman finalist C.J. Spiller of Clemson scored a pitiful 10. As one commenter noted, “Spiller is a great back but he’s the intellectual equivalent of my George Foreman Grill.”
Though it was not entirely a good day for basketball-playing Harvard Law-graduating President Obama: his bracket struggled to a 75% finish. That’s a C…but if he were at Stanford, it would likely be curved to an A-.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 Responses to “A Good Day for Intelligent Athletes”

1. nike shoes says:

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

2. Shon Edgerly says:

And1 is the greatest of all time. Sucks that they split up.

3. Douglass Megill says:

And1 is the greatest period. Sucks that they split up.

4. Joana Kolodziej says:

This is such a superior article. I look forward to seeing more of your writing. Is it possible to do a bookmark on digg or reddit for this post? I have so much time on my hands I wouldn’t mind doing it for you.

5. Lars says:

The Wonderlic is an interesting news story every year at the combine, but it doesn’t really seem to correlate to closely to on field success. It’s fun to talk about though (and make fun of doorknobs like Sebastian Janikowski who pulled off a NINE).

Fun tool to take a scaled down version of the Wonderlic is here http://www.nicholascreative.com/footballiq/ if anyone wants to try their hand at it. Tougher than you’d think.