It’s Only Been a Week, and 1/5 of the New ASSU Senate is Already in Ethics Trouble

GAIA, an environmental group, endorsed candidates for Senate

In politics, as they say, Plus ca change, plus c’est le meme chose. The scandal-plagued, scandal-plagued, scandal-plagued ASSU just got a whole batch of new Senators–and 3 of them are already facing ethical complaints.

First, there’s Ben Jensen, who signed a declaration saying he wouldn’t go abroad and then decided to go abroad. Luckily, this will make his attendance rate similar to every other person on the Senate.

Then, there’s Carolyn Simmons and Rebecca Sachs, who both agreed to run a recycled-paper-only campaign to be endorsed by GAIA (which sounds like an LGBTQ group but is apparently an environmental one) but found themselves short on supplies. Their plan of action? No joke–they allegedly printed off copies of Obama’s new Healthcare bill to create their own recycled paper. It is obvious that though they have limited concern for the environment, they do care about spreading the knowledge about what’s in the new Healthcare bill–which, it turns out, allows young people (that’s us) to stay covered on their parents’ plan until they are 26.

With Sarah Palin only making the occasional ridiculous appearance these days, it’s good to see that the ASSU will ensure that politics will be entertaining for a while longer.

3 Responses to “It’s Only Been a Week, and 1/5 of the New ASSU Senate is Already in Ethics Trouble”

1. Scott says:

I heard about Sachs and Simmons a few days before the election, but I thought it might just be a rumor. To hear it’s true, I’m honestly kind of disappointed that they were elected. :(

2. Kathy H. says:

How did ASSU get to be like this? When I was a student, there were never ASSU scandals. (Note: I never ran for or personally knew anyone in ASSU, but I did work for The Daily so I knew what was happening on campus.) Is it because students have to run such slick campaigns to win that you get marketers and self-promoters instead of true leaders who are concerned about the student body?

This story is sad not only because of the current news, but because it sounds like it’s now par for the course.

3. Darius says:

If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying. AND, if you voted for someone because they said they were printing on recycled paper, you’re the dope & I’ve got some ocean front property in Idaho that’s for sale. Being elected gives you no power, so vote for your friends or people whose flyers you like. or in my case, vote for black people.