Clayton Mellina: I Know What You Did This Summer

It’s summer break for Stanford students, and although campus news might slow down, we haven’t slowed down one bit. As such, TUSB brings you a series of interviews where we get a look at what Stanford students are doing with their summer. We’ll begin with my officemate, a very talented student with a pretty good story about his time.

Clayton Mellina

Yes, those are error messages on his right screen

Clayton working hard

Question One: Who are you?

I’m Clayton Mellina. I will be a senior next year and am majoring in Symbolic Systems.

Question Two: What are you doing this summer?

I work for Professor James McClelland in the Psychology department. His lab does cognitive modeling and has a software package to create cognitive models and test hypotheses. I’m currently adding a module to the software as well as instructions and exercises for it.

Question Three: So what do you actually do?

Right now, I’m mostly programming and will be for another week or so. This sort of job has varied work tasks, so after that, I’ll be reading papers, writing papers, and trying out some ideas, interspersed with more coding.

Question Four: Other than work, what are you doing?

Other than this job, I’m taking it easy this summer. I have a huge reading list that has slowly built up over college, including a lot of philosophy and hopefully more fiction, though I read mostly non-fiction. And one thing I have not done yet while at Stanford is camping, and I have camping equipment and the desire, but it just hasn’t happened yet. In addition, I’ll also helping a PhD student in the Comm department with his research in my spare time.

Question Five: Cream cheese or dinosaurs?

Uh, definitely dinosaurs, I actually don’t like cream cheese at all. Dinosaurs happen to be a marvel of evolution.

Thanks Clayton!

If you’re a Stanford student and want to be interviewed, just email us at blogforstanford@gmail.com. No matter how exciting or mundane your summer is, we want to hear from you to get the best cross-section of summer experiences.