Jenni Ockelmann: I Know What You Did This Summer

A reader recently pointed out the gender bias of “I Know What You Did This Summer” so far, and although I think that simply reflects my personal network of friends, there’s no reason not to give the fairer gender a fair shake. This week is my wallmate from my dorm last year.

(As usual, send along tips to stanfordblogging@gmail.com for interviewees)

Jenni Ockelmann

Jenni Ockelmann

She insisted on me not taking a picture at the interview, where she looked "gross".

Question One: Who are you?
I’m Jenni Ockelmann, a rising senior and a History major and a Psychology minor.

Question Two: What are you doing this summer?

I am the head counselor in the EPGY Psychology house in the high school program. Although we don’t teach their lecture in the morning, we’re like their TAs and RAs all rolled into one. In the afternoons, we lead discussions, help them with projects, and tell them to wake up to finish their reading. We also lead fun activities, like fountain-hopping, going to the mall, and making ice-cream. At night, we supervise their free time and put them in bed at 11.

Question Three: So what do you actually do?

At any given random moment, I’m probably on my computer sitting next to my co-workers with kids scattered in the room around me. There’s a lot of downtime where we just need to make sure they don’t kill each other.

Question Four: Other than work, what are you doing?

Not a lot because my job is residential, so when I’m on, I’m on all day. But I tried social dancing, and I’ve started going to the gym. I’m up to 2 runs and one trip to the gym in the last 7 days, so it’s a process.

Question Five: Cream cheese or dinosaurs?

Absolutely cream cheese. I’m a huge cream cheese man; I used to eat it by itself. That’s my deep dark secret: it’s delicious.

Thanks Jenni!

12 Responses to “Jenni Ockelmann: I Know What You Did This Summer”

1. Hey Ladies! says:

Not to hate on Jenni but girls can do interesting internships OFF CAMPUS too!!! Ever wonder why there are significantly disproportionate numbers of girls in engineering, math, physics, chem…oh wait…the hard sciences in general? Maybe it’s because publications like this one unintentionally miss a great opportunity to demonstrate that girls can kick just as much ass as boys. This website has thus far profiled boys doing research or work in tech fields and a girl working in a teaching position. Hello gender stereotypes. I challenge the writers to STEP IT UP. Tusb should be edgier than that.

2. Natalie says:

So the three boys TUSB interviewed prior to Jenni’s interview were all working on tech-related research or for a tech company. The one girl you finally interviewed is working on campus in a teaching position.

Hello gender stereotypes.

Although EPGY provides lots of Stanford students with great jobs, teaching experience, and a chance to hang out on campus all summer, girls at Stanford are involved with much more intellectually engaging and unique internships. Keep an eye out for some great interviews with Stanford girls coming up!

3. kevin says:

Fair point. I accept full responsibility for the poor showing on diversity so far as I have been somewhat lazy in picking interviewees. I will also use this comment as another pitch for anyone to be interviewed to email stanfordblogging@gmail.com about it, and feel free to sign up to post your own interviews.

On a similar note, it is not “publications like this one” that missed these opportunities: it was me. In a blog format like this, TUSB is pretty blameless for what contributors choose to write.

4. Natalie says:

Hey Kevin-
    Don’t mean to hate on you too hard. Keep up the good work for the Blog.
    Natalie

5. Charlie says:

So, Natalie was suggesting that Kevin should have, instead of taking a mostly random sample of the population, intentionally changed who he picked so he didn’t reinforce gender stereotypes? That’s like Stanford accepting people who are dumber just so they contribute to the diversity… oh wait… that DOES happen.

Good to see you’re thinking like admissions officers, Natalie. I see a career path…

6. Lukass says:

Charlie, good to see you’re thinking like the ‘disaffected white guy from my high school’ who actually claims that his rejection letter said “We’re sorry, you have not been accepted to Stanford. You would have been a shoe-in but we had to accept minorities this year.” (in more or less words)

I see a conspiracy theory!!!

But regardless, even if it is true that Stanford opts for diversity over smarts… Have you considered the alternative:

Stanford just accepts people who are smarter (AND WHILE THEY’RE AT IT), richer, good at the backstroke, presidential heiresses etc. just so they can grease the wheels of their institution’s prestige and endowment. Oh wait… that DOES happen!

7. Natalie says:

Charlie-
    Kevin’s sample was clearly not random. He 1) chose people he knows; and 2) chose people who are living on campus this summer.

So because Kevin’s sample was seemingly random though not at all random, I was just hoping that a nice guy like Kevin would play his part in trying to correct centuries, no, wait…epochs of gender stereotyping, gender inequality, and plain ol’ chauvinism.

I’m sorry if that’s asking for too much.

Nat-”men can be feminists too!”-alie

8. Charlie says:

Lukass,

Let’s team up to fight affirmative action AND legacy AND sports recruitment. I like how you think.

I think you bring up a good point, though – Stanford goes for diversity just so it can claim it has diversity because that’s the “in” thing, just like getting Michelle Wie and Chelsea Clinton were publicity stunts. It’s all about public image. I’d rather have none of it, though, and just have the most impressive peers. It sounds to me like we’re both upset about the same thing, though – not valuing the proper qualities in applicants.

Don’t be so quick to assume I’m a disaffected white guy from your high school, though. Many beneficiaries of affirmative action dislike it just as much as anyone else.

Then again, I am disaffected, white, male, and I did go to high school at some point.

9. Grad says:

“girls at Stanford are involved with much more intellectually engaging and unique internships”

why can’t we for one second stop being so cut-throat, competitive, and sensitive about everything on this campus. You don’t have to slave away in numbers and coding to have an intellectually stimulating summer

10. Eugenia says:

Charlie,

I would like to take a moment to defend the idea of diversity at institutions of higher learning. First, all students accepted to Stanford have met minimal academic expectations to attend so the idea that some people do not deserve to be there because they are not smart enough is incorrect. Stanford admissions does not accept students for the sake of having black and brown people to put in their brochures.

Everyone who is at Stanford is there because someone in the Admissions Office truly believes that he/she has something special to bring to our community. This “something special” may not be engineering prowess or a knack for programming, but that does not necessarily mean that “other” skills and experiences are not equally valuable or important. Stanford wants to create an environment where students from all walks of life can learn from (and be challenged by) people who are different than themselves. This cannot be done when Stanford chooses to focus solely on AP classes or standardized test scores. In fact, focusing on these factors alone does not improve the quality of the student body at Stanford–it merely seeks to replicate a status quo that favors certain populations and excludes others.

What Stanford is doing is, “preparing our students for leadership in today’s complex world” (see http://www.stanford.edu) whether that leadership is in academia or investment banking or social work. In a country that is becoming increasingly diverse and complex, creating a class that reflects the people we will encounter in the real world is one way in which Stanford is preparing us for this leadership. By building a diverse student population, Stanford is ensuring that its students are ready to make a difference in a variety of fields.

11. Charlie says:

Natalie-
    True, Kevin’s sample was not random, but he also didn’t select people to interview specifically to avoid interviewing women. Kevin was not around during the “epochs” of mistreatment of women, and should carry no guilt. Revenge is an unhealthy motivation for feminism, and I’m honestly shocked you admit so easily to this being your motive.

Eugenia-
    I completely agree that diversity is a great thing. Yet, I’ve worked with plenty of fellow students at Stanford, and I can confidently say that it is their intellect and creativity, not their ethnicity or race, that I have learned from. People completely different from me are all races, and both genders. These are not good indicators of who will challenge me intellectually, yet they are the criteria with which students are are sometimes judged. Why else would the admissions office ask for ethnicity and race on the application? It isn’t so much the quest for diversity, but the offensive process with which they decide who will add more “diversity” to campus, and the amount of academic excellence they are willing to sacrifice to meet their own strange definitions of diversity. I will admit, though, that “creating a class that reflects the people we will encounter in the real world” does require admitting many different people. But, with that motive, lazy, uninspired, and boring people should also be admitted. There are tons of those out there that we’ll all encounter.

Have we made it to longest comment thread on tusb yet?

12. Rosina Cools says:

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog blogposts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly. Rosina Cools