Matt Blum: I Know What You Did This Summer

I don’t want to cry wolf if anyone else still wants to be interviewed (stanfordblogging@gmail.com), but I think this might be the end of this series. It ends how it began with laziness (this time interviewing a drawmate), but hopefully I covered some breadth of experiences over some dimensions. So without further ado, here’s your last peek at what summer 2010 had in store for Stanford students.

Matt Blum

Matt

At a "traditional Munich beer garden." Matt is the guy in red. Unless German beer works as a Polyjuice Potion.

Question One: Who are you?

I’m Matt Blum, a rising senior studying Product Design. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago but when I’m outside of the US (as I have been for the past five months) and people ask me where I’m from, I usually say California.

Question Two: What are you doing this summer?

I’m an “industrial design intern” at a firm called Lunar Europe, which is the Munich branch of a design consultancy based in San Francisco. Without going into too much detail, companies hire us to design cool stuff and come up with really great ideas for them.

Question Three: So what do you actually do?

The fun part of the job is creating new product concepts and solving problems with those currently in development. In actuality, I spend a lot of time preparing content for presentations. Putting together research, illustrations, movies, text, and slideshows are all part of the job.  Once a design has been decided upon, it takes surprising amount of legwork to bring it to life.

Question Four: Other than work, what are you doing?

I’ve been traveling a bit, exploring all that Munich has to offer, and spending as much time as possible in beer gardens. Most people know about Germany’s fantastic beer culture. Unfortunately, Oktoberfest begins the Saturday before school starts…

Question Five: Cream cheese or dinosaurs?

I’m gunna go with dinosaurs. I’m a meat man myself.

Thanks Matt!