The Manufactured Mob Over Football Seats

If you’re a Stanford student, you probably received an email a few days ago and another last night about getting your ticket for the Stanford-USC football game on October 9th. And you probably even got a few confused emails over mailing lists trying to figure out what to do. Given our newfound enthusiasm for football and the lack of seating at the Wake Forest game, imagine how we might feel if told that there are ONLY 4500 tickets to be given out in first-come first-serve fashion.

You guessed it: unnecessary panic. I, apparently like many others, rolled out an hour earlier than I would normally to ensure that I got my ticket, only to be thwarted by a waiting page as the servers were unable to deal with our ferocity. Being the selfish person I am, I refreshed far more often than the 1 minute timer, likely exacerbating the problem, but netting me a ticket in less than 5 minutes, whereas other mentioned waiting for over a half-hour only to hit a message that the server was down for maintenance. And later, to discover that there wasn’t even close to a shortage allowing stragglers as late as the afternoon (and perhaps still as I write) to get tickets.

So to recap the things that went wrong, students panicked, servers went down, some think the situation is being mishandled, and getting through the gates is now more complicated. But anyways, where did you fall in this whole situation? Poll below and comments below that.

Do you have your ticket for the Stanford-USC football game?

• Yes, but I didn't go out of my way for it. (45%, 37 Votes)
  • Woke up early just to be sure! (22%, 18 Votes)
  • No, there are no more left! (20%, 16 Votes)
  • No, and I don't want one. (13%, 11 Votes)
  • Thanks for reminding me! Just got it. (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 82

Loading ... Loading ...

One Response to “The Manufactured Mob Over Football Seats”

1. Kathy says:

It was much worse for USC students. They had a lottery, and lots of people that entered didn’t get tickets.