Cal Thug Cops Arrest Stanford Student

Stanford senior Sam Pressman was celebrating today’s 48-14 Big Game victory when the cops decided to be bad sports. As Pressman encouraged his fellow Cardinal fans to rush the field, Cal security surrounded and physically restrained him:

embedded by Embedded Video

YouTube Direkt

Pressman was last seen being escorted off the field in handcuffs:

Stanford Senior Sam Pressman is detained by Cal police after encouraging fellow students to rush the field at Memorial Stadium.

Never mind that Cal rushed our field after their victory last year. Their authorities treated student section members like protestors in an autocratic state. Apparently Berkley is the town of hippie tolerance only when Cal is winning.

7 Responses to “Cal Thug Cops Arrest Stanford Student”

1. Charlie says:

Ooof. I mean, this is why you don’t aggravate a row of cops. There’s no such thing as the right to storm a field.

I feel bad for this guy, since a Google search will forever bring this up, but he probably could have deduced that the dozens of security personel were there for a reason.

2. Sasha says:

The worst part for me was not only the double standard that Cal was expecting us to respect, but also that to me it showed a disrespect of the rivalry. Rushing the field has had historical significance for the rivalry. Think The Play in the 1982 Big Game or Stanford’s The Revenge of The Play in the 1990 Big Game (see Jeff Faraudo’s recent Oakland Tribune article if you don’t know what I am talking about). And those are just the instances that I can think of off the top of my head. Rushing the field is part of the rivalry. And by trying to eliminate it, Cal was disrespecting the rivalry that they hold so dear.

Not to mention that I’m a little bitter about being accosted by a huge security guard twice my size who shoved me up against the wall while trying to tell me that I was “too cute” to go on the field… (Draw your own conclusions, but when he saw that my friends were nearby on the field, he let me go)

Whatever. In the end, all I really want to do is congratulate an amazing Stanford team and welcome the Axe back home. GO CARD!

3. Sasha says:

P.S.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/11/20/stanford-48-cal-14-big-game-news-notes-and-links/

This Mercury News blogger also commented on security brutality after watching a security guard body slam a Stanford female. Check it out.

4. Mark says:

Cal and its fans have a deserved reputation for thuggish behavior. The worst was 1997.

Stanford won the 1997 Big Game at Stanford. However after the game, the Cal fans (AFTER A LOSS) tore down the restraining fence and stormed the field. They tore down one goal post, tried to use it as a battering ram to get through security protecting the other goal post and eventually threw it over the side of the stadium.

1997 was also the game where someone from Cal managed to hack into the referee’s microphone system and subsequently announced over the PA: “Penalty, unsportsmanlike arrogance, Stanford sucks.” It was a weird game.

5. Tweets that mention Cal Thug Cops Arrest Stanford Student | The Unofficial Stanford Blog — Topsy.com says:

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Stanford Reunion, stanfordblog. stanfordblog said: Cal Thug Cops Arrest Stanford Student http://bit.ly/bcnMEt […]

6. Quick Reads: Stanford-Cal | The Daily Axe says:

[…] Cal security (Landmark Security, for those of you keeping score at home) bullied a number of Stanford students as they attempted to rush the field following the Card’s victory. We’ll probably have a post about this is the coming days, but here are some links to tide you over. […]

7. Seth says:

Cal is a notorious security company for it’s thuggish behaviors. And now they are bullying Stanford’s students? There should be at least something we could do about it.

Seth @ Pronation Running Shoes