Google: The Ultimate Teacher

I had a job this summer at a non-profit, where I basically had to help the public with any request they could call or com in for help

Even Google messes up sometimes.

with.  And although a lot of the requests were the same, a LOT of the time I had no idea how to help these people, and neither did any one else in the office.    Our solution?  Google it.  I googled everything from directions to the closest shopping center to how to get a record of a divorce that occurred in the state of Oregon about 20 years ago.

SO what else can google do?

It can tell you what was popular in the year 2010, keep you from missing campus (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) while you’re not at Stanford over break, let you know what’s hot for Christmas 2010 (only 4 shopping days left!), give the to-the-second latest news on the celebrity you think is unbearably hott, and much more that I will let you explore.

Just today, I used google trends to do market research on when certain products are most likely to be purchased.  When doing stats homework, because I did not know how to work Excel, I googled every command on Excel, and now my resume says that I am fluent.  Speaking of resumes, mine got cleaned up quite a bit after this google search.

So with all this information at my fingertips, it’s a little hard for me to believe that my education is actually worth it.  This is the part where angry mobs come after me, because how dare a Stanford student say that, right?  Well, I am exaggerating (I must be when it costs about $50k a year for me to get this education), but still, any problem I’ve ever come across be it in jobs, as a student, or with the flooding of my pool do to all this rain in Southern California, has been something I’ve been able to figure out how to do through use of google.

So what do you think?  Is Google the ultimate source of knowledge?  What’s your favorite Google tool? Will Google take over the world?

2 Responses to “Google: The Ultimate Teacher”

1. Kathy says:

I totally agree. Also, when you’re a freelancer, Google is the person in the next cubicle. When you have a question, Google almost always has the answer. And it doesn’t eat smelly food for lunch.

2. Sasha says:

New, fun tool:
    http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/