Oh no, UConn’t!

...and the crowd goes wild!!

Yesterday, December 30, 2010, #8 Stanford women’s basketball beat #1 UConn 71 to 59 without ever losing the lead.  In so doing, Stanford decisively ended the longest winning streak in major college basketball history.  You go, girls.

Stanford Cardinal 71, University of Connecticut Huskies 59, and what occurred here Thursday night just might be the best thing to happen to women’s basketball since it was decided girls no longer had to play in skirts.”
Let me break it down for you by the numbers.
  • 90 games.  The last time UConn lost was in 2008, when the Cardinal defeated them in the Final Four.
  • UConn star and two-time national player of the year Maya Moore was held to 14 points.  She averages 25 points a game.
  • Stanford has won 52 straight home games.
  • 998 days is longer than the United States spent as a combatant in World War I.  998 days is longer than the lifespan of a newt.  998 days ago, George W. Bush was still our president, and nobody had heard of avian or swine flu.  998 days is a long time ago.

Senior Pohlen goes in for the kill.

Stars of the game:

• Jeanette Pohlen: our 6-foot, do-everything point guard “crack[ed] the game wide open with sheer grit and physical toughness” with 31 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists.  “I just had that mentality. I’m not giving up until that buzzer goes off,” said Pohlen, after hitting five 3-pointers. “I think our team was really looking for me to get my shot. We got the win, and our team played awesome.”
  • Kayla Pedersen: her 11 rebounds gave Stanford a 43-36 advantage on the boards.
  • Stanford freshman Chiney Ogwumike played only 19 minutes, but her tough defense was enough to throw UConn’s star Moore off her game.
We just didn’t play like ourselves. Give credit to Stanford. I think they played an unbelievably good game.”
-  Huskies Coach Geno Auriemma
Start your engines:
  • With impressive momentum like this, it’s up to the fans to keep up the vibe.  Breathless, senior Pohlen gushed, “I’ve never seen [Maples] this loud or crazy. Even our freshman year, the Tennessee game here, it was packed but nothing like this. It was amazing. Such a great atmosphere to play in.”
  • Perhaps more exciting is the potential of our program.  With Coach VanDerveer collecting her 800th win and younger players like Chiney Ogwumike already taking on difficult roles, Stanford women’s basketball is looking great.
  • So keep up the energy, sports fans.  With a season as promising as this, it would be hard not to get excited.