GRE: Remixed

Last quarter my roommate mentioned taking the GRE general test to get it out of the way. She warned me that the test is changing and that rather than be a guinea pig for the new test, it might be a good idea to take it now. We’re both sophomores – I was barely thinking about majors let alone grad school. So I put it off. Until now.

I mean, I’m still not a sophomore taking a GRE. Honestly, I’m not really sure if I want to go to grad school at all (utterly shocking). But after wandering around the web I stumbled upon those changes she mentioned. They’re giving the test a complete overhaul. They’re changing a large portion of the test from antonyms and analogies to reading passages and vocabulary questions. They’re changing the scoring system. And it’s also an hour longer than current GRE tests.

I might not be taking this test but it seems like something people should be warned about. Even though they’re making all these “improvements” I would be a little intimidated to be part of the first round of graduate students being judged on an entirely different test. And while I know people don’t want to add anything else to their plates, considering that GRE scores are good for up to 5 years, it might be a better idea not to wait.

So the only upside at the moment to having to now contemplate taking this standardized test is that Kaplan is allowing owners of e-readers (Nook, Kindle, iPad, Sony eReader) to download 130 of their test prep books for free. Happy studying!

2 Responses to “GRE: Remixed”

1. Andrea says:

True, the change could be a challenge for some. That said, your GRE score is only valid for 5 years, so if you are planning on taking some gap years before going to grad school after graduation, better to wait -even with the changes – so your test is still valid when you actually get around to applying.

Also, the analogies suck. So anything that changes that is a bonus in my book…

2. Benji says:

The biggest mistake I made for the GRE was soley relying on my Kaplan book. This helped, but the free software at ets.org, believe or not, was better. Another great source is listjobs.org. you can compare companies salaries and also submit your resume to all the job search engines online. here’s the link
    http://www.listjobs.org