Roe v. Wade in White Plaza

Every year, pro-life students gather on the anniversary of the Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade and plant “memorial” flowers in White Plaza as an anti-abortion demonstration. Today, the pro-choice students took to the plaza as well, vocalizing their (opposing) position a friendly ten feet away. Just like the crazy bible guy who shouts in White Plaza sometimes, the flowers in White Plaza have become a staple of free speech at Stanford–and an annual reminder that social conservatives still exist on campus and are really into planting things.

And while it’s good to see free speech alive and well, Stanford still has free speech issues: namely, that White Plaza is a “free speech zone” and the rest of the University isn’t.

I'm not very good at math, which I why I try to avoid it at all costs.

Pro-choice churned out t-shirts on which you could choose what you wanted to write.

2 Responses to “Roe v. Wade in White Plaza”

1. Liz says:

When bigoted conservatives try to beat me over the head with their opinions, or write people off for having an opinion different from their own, I start to lose faith in humanity. It’s absolutely infuriating to have totally one-sided/Medieval dogma shoved down your throat. Which is why I was so disappointed to read this blog post. Maybe I missed the part of the demonstration where the pro-life contingent got aggressive, but it seemed to me like the whole thing was a pretty peaceful expression of people’s beliefs. What I love about many Stanford students is that they are truly liberal- they’ll respectfully listen to what you have to say, even if it’s way outside the norm. Unfortunately the author of this post is not one of those liberals. Don’t get me wrong, I was outside Hillel supporting my LGBTQ and Jewish friends when the Westboro “church” showed up this spring to spread hate and threaten people for no good reason. But let’s not confuse strangers coming in to insult our community with Stanford students demonstrating in a nonviolent way.

2. Josh says:

@Liz–I apologize if this post insinuated that the pro life students were aggressive or hate-mongering: they were not in any way. They were very quiet and peaceful. The crazy bible guy reference was meant as a reference to being a white plaza staple that we have come to expect, not to being dogmatic and crazy.