This Week in Stanford 1/2/11-1/8/11

Welcome to 2011! Now that we’re a week into winter quarter, we have some more stories to pass on. Technically, news doesn’t only happen when class is in session, but at least my life pretty much turns off, then. Anyways, here’s what’s been going on:

• The Miami Herald covers some of the more notable exploits of LSJUMB over the past few years in honor of their appearance at the Orange Bowl. There has also been tremendous misinformation about the Stanford band being allowed to perform at half-time. Their reputation truly does precede them
  • David Kennedy, professor emeritus of history, has a book out about the unifying characteristics of the United States. Is this a good time to talk more about Stanford’s diversity?
  • I heard Stanford football won a bowl of oranges and had to travel all the way to Miami and tackle a bunch of guys to get it. They should’ve just asked me for it and saved themselves the effort: I would have been happy to go to the farmer’s market and pick up a few oranges for them
  • A Stanford student reported being assaulted on-campus. Be careful
  • Ryan Calo at the CIS (a part of Stanford Law School) shares a few thoughts in this blog post about 1st amendment implications of the Wikileaks incident
  • The Chronicle had a piece on Jeff Ullman, professor emeritus in CS, under fire from a Iranian-American group about a comment made in an email to a student asking about admissions
  • California Governor Jerry Brown has appointed Michael Kirst, professor of education, to the State Board of Education. Hopefully he can help with the problem of many students currently in a state bored of education

(EDIT: It’s winter quarter, not spring quarter)

2 Responses to “This Week in Stanford 1/2/11-1/8/11”

1. david says:

We’re a week into spring quarter? You’re an idiot.

2. kevin says:

Oops, my bad. I actually just sent an email right before writing this post where I made the same mistake. Thanks for the catch!