Happy Monday

It’s the fourteenth of February.

Otherwise known as Read to Your Child Day, though I imagine most undergrads won’t be in observance. Much more applicable to us is the loved and loathed Valentine’s Day (or Singles Awareness Day, depending on your outlook). I was going to write a post about all the cutesy shit Stanford couples could do on and off campus without breaking the bank (such as making some pottery together a la Ghost, taking some fun photos, having an indoor picnic and the like.). I have since changed my mind. It’s not that I am one of those extremists who begins to gag at the sight of red and pink or couples holding hands. Whatever floats your boat. I am actually working my way to neutrality. And why write about a bunch of adorable activities that I can’t even take part in, anyway?

It's not that bad.

I am simply determined to make it not suck to be alone this Valentine’s Day. It shouldn’t be that hard. I don’t see how it can have much of an effect on a busy college student who lives on campus and has many single friends. I will not be Sad Keanu on a park bench. I’m not going be sitting alone in the dark, watching The Notebook, a pint of Ben and Jerry’s there to catch my tears. Regardless, I give to you some of the tips I’ve come across.

By far the most popular suggestion is to surround yourself with friends and do something fun. Just because it’s a day about love doesn’t mean it has to be romantic love, right? Let’s keep telling ourselves that. Anyway, get together with your best buddies and watch a movie or grab dinner. Bake something to share with the people you care about (people generally like baked goods. I made cookies and now have friends I didn’t know I had before). Something on campus you can do tonight is go to Black Love at 7 in the Toyon lounge. Omarion can sing your troubles away.

One suggestion that I just can’t get with is taking every opportunity to rant about Valentine’s Day not actually being about love but about commercialism and profit. While that info may be quite correct…let’s not be Debbie Downers. Let people have their fun and avoid being labeled as the bitter single person who has to hate on everything Valentine’s related. If it’s really that hard for you to deal with, may I suggest acting like it’s any other day? Go about your business. Hit the books. It’ll be over before you know it.

As TUSB has discussed in the past, music is appropriate for all sides of this holiday. Let’s say you have some hard feelings about a former love. Relieve your stress by yelling Fuck You at the top of your lungs. Because this is more socially acceptable when it’s part of a song, we owe thanks to Cee Lo Green. There are some other options for you, too, but I’d refrain from any violent ideas that may be running through your head today.

embedded by Embedded Video

YouTube Direkt

If seduction is what you are after, music may be the way to go too. If you’ve had a crush on someone for a while now, what better time is there to ask him or her out? I’m sure there has been some study about people being more likely to say yes to a date on this particular day of the year. It’s not pathetic. It’s strategy. Robin Thicke might give you some ideas. Some really. good. ideas. This list is kind of endless. Just avoid being a creep.

embedded by Embedded Video

YouTube Direkt

Whatever it is you decide to do today, whether it’s something romantic with a loved one or something fun with all your friends, I hope you find some way to enjoy yourself. And if you are legitimately suffering because of the dreaded v-word (not that one. Valentine’s.), look on the bright side: you’ve only got 6 hours left.