Words Straight From the ProFros

At yesterday’s Activities Fair, a few intrepid ProFros were willing to try their hand at a little blogging for the first time because they couldn’t resist saying a few words about their first Stanford experience:

The ProFros seem so happy! And now we have proof. (Photo from Stanford Daily File Photo)

So whats wrong about Stanford? I am desperately trying to find some kind of objective bearing on which to judge an institution that everyone considers to be the best school ever.
Being the crazy person that I am,  I’ve tried to sleep in the academic expos like I do regularly at my high school, but the professors were just too interesting (sleepless and loving it). I found myself actually contributing and quite engaged (take that public school). I’ve tried to find activities that Stanford doesnt offer, and that, quite frankly, has been a total failure. I’ve tried to judge the crowd, but as far I’ve seen all that Stanford kids have to offer is cool music, a chill personality, and an unparalleled academic prowess.
So what’s wrong about Stanford? Ummmm……maybe Stanford is just too damn perfect.
The  Fosho Profro

Stanford is pretty much everything I imagined and then some! I’m so excited to spend my next four years with all of these super amazing people, all under the beautiful California sunshine.
Future Cardinal

The only thing that can make the Activites Fair more fun is more FREE STUFF!!!! WHOO! Go Cardinals!
Best ProFro

Admit Weekend, to say straightforwardly, has been more than I expected out of any pre-frosh college visit. I was a little concerned before I came here that Stanford would be an intimidating and overwhelming experience, one in which I would dissolve anonymously into a large university, fearing that I wouldn’t discover my niche. Theses were some qualifications I was considering when deciding where to attend school; that a community of students and faculty would actively receive me and want to hear my voice. I am so happy to say that I was so wrong about this, and that every stipulation and fear I had about the university disappeared the second I started meeting the amazing students in my all freshman dorm, Twain.

What’s so true about Stanford, and more than any other university (it’s true!) is that no matter what walk of life you come from, no matter your interests, aspirations, fears, or goals, Stanford students want to reach out to one another, hear one another’s story, and ultimately contribute to furthering the creation of a tight-knit social community. But I still was a bit intimidated, knowing that every pre-frosh and student at Stanford had exceptional, unique talents and passions. Where would I fit in, and moreover, would I be able to stand out? In the first couple days I’ve spent on campus, it’s been so great to actually experience how cooperative Stanford students are with one another. Hanging out in my dorm last night, I was chatting with a handful of students who were  preparing for their midterms the next day. They asked another about how specific questions and assignments went, and how prepared they felt – considering they were only five words into their eight-page paper for PWR class! Students do really care about one another here! While you certainly are surrounded by achievers in all walks of life, the community is in no-way cutthroat or off-putting, but rather supportive and inspiring.

So, at 3:00 in the morning last night, I had an epiphany after having a very unsettling dream that if I didn’t attend this “intellectual paradise” (as they call it), my life would sport a huge gap. I called up one of my best friends, talked for about thirty minutes on where he thought I’d be happiest the next four years of my life, and at about 3:30 the decision was obvious: I called up my dad and told him it was time to pay the deposit. This, my friend, was pure drama – a lachrymose, cathartic experience of pure joy that I will never forget. I am Cardinal next year and cannot wait to take my interests and passions to the next level, knowing I have a community of friends who will be supportive of me, and encourage me to explore interests I would never have considered in the first place. GO CARDINAL!
James Cranston, Horace Greeley High School

Admit Weekend is so fun fun fun! We we we so excited to come to Stanford in the fall! :)
Enhanced Satirisation

Is it cardinal or cardinals? What classes should we take our first year? Where is the best place to eat on campus? And what the hell is “frosoco”? These were just a few of the questions that plagued profros like myself (all of which were answered, by the way). We now know that we are Stanford Cardinal. There is an amazing one unit class called happiness. If you have to eat, try to avoid any dorm food, and frosoco is a mythical place on the outskirts on campus. Sometimes its presence has been questioned (as with any place of pure awesome, i.e. Hogwarts, Narnia, etc.), but if you believe, you may, in fact, chance upon it. Admit weekend has been amazing and I personally am looking forward to joining The Farm in the fall. I’ll be back.
Megan Gage, Evergreen Valley High School

4 Responses to “Words Straight From the ProFros”

1. DL says:

“that no matter what walk of life you come from, no matter your interests, aspirations, fears, or goals, Stanford students want to reach out to one another, hear one another’s story, and ultimately contribute to furthering the creation of a tight-knit social community. ”

Except if you’re transgendered. Then the students couldn’t give a shit about your walk of life.

Way to only quote those who have had the most positive experience. What about those who didn’t? Here’s one quote from another profro: “So basically Stanford doesn’t care about its queer community?” which he concluded based on the fact that Stanford endorses lawful discrimination, and if the law allows the discrimination, Stanford can and will exercise that discrimination if it sees fit. LGBT is not protected under the law and therefore not at Stanford either. He chose to go to Princeton, even though Stanford was his first choice; it really angered him how the campus was acting toward those who were fighting for trans rights.

I hope that those demonstrating in White Plaza at the activities fair showed more than one queer student just what Stanford thinks about how large a minority needs to be before it enforces its nondiscrimination. And I hope they have a better option than Stanford.

(This, coming from someone who has previously been a diehard Stanford fan who would go to great lengths to convince students that Stanford is amazing)

2. Andrea says:

Just to get this out there, quoting only “those who had the most positive experience” was completely unintentional – we asked several profros to write down their thoughts on Stanford and admit weekend, and then published everything that was written. They were all positive simply because every profro who participated wrote something positive.

3. Crystal says:

DL,

I’m actually really saddened by the fact that a student was turned off based on Stanford’s renewed support of ROTC. But I just want it to be noted that it was Stanford “the institution” rather than “the culture and people that made the decision.” The final decision to let ROTC back on campus was ultimately the Faculty Senate. Students in opposition and in support of ROTC were able to make their case. If you want a numerical measure of the student body’s opinion – it can be seen in the ASSU elections poll of ROTC advisory question: http://elections.stanford.edu/2011-elections-results

Many students voted yes. But more students (combined) either voted against ROTC’s return or abstained in solidarity with the campus’s LGBT community. I have no doubt that the return of ROTC will affect the way the outside world (and especially newly admitted students) views Stanford. But I also hope that people can see beyond that to the type of student body that still resides here. Stanford is a lot more than our policy decisions.

I also hope, as a diehard Stanford fan, that you are still happy that our student body was able to provide an amazing experience for the few students who chose to blog.

4. Robin Thomas says:

Aww. They’re so cute before the reality of college life sets in.