A Community of Trust

Have you ever asked a Stanford student what they love about Stanford?  Maybe back in the day when you were a ProFro?  Do you remember what that student said?

We hear it over and over, one of the best things about Stanford is the people.  Students at Stanford are diverse and accomplished and they come from all walks of life.

But also, one of the things that comes from this, is that laid-back, supportive (non-competitive) attitude that we talk about here.  

The other day I lost my keys on campus somewhere. And since I live off-campus this year (insert collective gasp here), I didn’t even realize it until my whole day had gone by and I was sitting on my front porch stuck, unable to get inside.  But the point is, for some reason, once I had mentally determined the most likely place for my keys to be, I was so worried that someone would have taken them.  Which was a terrifying idea when I remembered that on my keys was the only copy of my car key in existence.  I was literally freaking out about it as I made the walk back to school,  even though a random group of keys is very useless to anyone who doesn’t know what those keys go to.  And when I got back to Old Union, my keys were safely in the Lost and Found at the Axe and Palm.  Which got me to thinking, how much do we really have a community of trust at Stanford?

One of the best things about Stanford is the people that we get to be surrounded by.  Which I think fosters a community.  I have met so many people who were willing to share notes, explain problems, check answers, form study groups, and just be helpful in general.  Which points me to say that, yeah, we do trust each other.

But I’m really interested in this whole idea.  Do you feel comfortable leaving your backpack and laptop out at the library when you take a bathroom break?  A quick, biased survey of  some of my friends said not really.  So I’ve tried it a couple of times since then – and guess what?  Nothing was stolen.

Personally, one of my favorite parts about Stanford is that students build communities.  That it’s not such a dog-eat-dog world in here.  So, if I may end on a rather cliche note, I would suggest that we put more trust in each other.  Which is not to say that we should be stupid and careless about things, but I think our community would only improve if we became more of one.

But what say ye?  Can other Stanford students be trusted?

2 Responses to “A Community of Trust”

1. Jonathan Bruins says:

The reason we take our backpacks is not because we don’t trust them. It’s because there could be a random guy who walks in to the library and decides to steal some stuff or that there is just ONE person in the community who is a dick. The probability is 0.1% but I’m not taking my chances.

2. Page says:

I’m not going to leave my valuables (laptop, wallet, phone) because there is always the chance that somebody will take them and it is not worth the risk. I generally trust students, and that is why I feel comfortable asking someone I have never met to keep an eye on my things while I am gone for a bit. I just ask if they are going to be around for a while and if they would mind. I think the majority of students are awesome, so I can trust one to protect my valuables from a random thief. I’ve been asked to keep an eye on peoples’ stuff, too. That works well.