This Week In Stanford 2/7/12 – 2/13/12

Love is in the air, and chocolate covered strawberries are invading TAP. Other people may show their love through gifts and over-the-top planning, but I’m going to share my love for Stanford with facts.

• Happy Birthday Stanford Review! Our only conservative newspaper, founded by Peter Thiel himself, has just celebrated its 25th anniversary.
  • Alumnus Ramon Saldivar was honored with a National Humanities Medal from President Obama this morning.  Just another humanities win for Stanford.
  • The achievement gap is growing. Unlike the uneven representation between races, a Stanford study has found the problem now lies in a disparity between income levels. The rich are out pacing the poor in education.
  • Speaking of being poor, tuition is going up by 3% as of next year.  The only good news is that Stanford managed to raise $253.7 million dollars over the past few years to help students who need it.
  • When I first heard of the Ronald McDonald house, I feared it had something to do with the bringing a Mickey D’s to Stanford’s campus. I might be ok with an In N Out, but never a McDonald’s. And then I learned that it’s actually living quarters for patients and their families at the Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital!  And lucky for those families, they are once again planning to expand.
  • Another congratulations are in order – Matt Olsen, ’14, represented Stanford in Jeopardy‘s college championship edition. He did an amazing job making it to the semi-finals.
  • If you think your cat is driving you crazy, you may be right – literally.  It seems that bacteria spread from your cat may actually be leading people into doing self-destructive things.