I’m not sure what it is about February that makes campus so antsy. The weather is a mercurial mix of rainy and beautiful, the absence of football season gives us no justifiable reason to scream loudly once a weekend, and the looming, candy-coated spectre of Valentine’s Day reminds us all too well of our romantic frustrations. My normal approach is useless here.
But whether it’s midterms, project classes ramping up, or The Man that’s gettin’ you down, there’s no reason too small not to shake it out. As the Daily editors remind you of the importance of free speech on campus, I implore you to heed the words of V from V for Vendetta that
a revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having”
It’s times like these that make a student body want to shake its collective groove thang. Good thing the slew of upcoming events on campus is perfectly suited to fulfill that need.
Lunar New Year Festival – Saturday, February 9, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., White Plaza
- The Stanford Vietnamese Student Association is pulling together your favorite student performance groups to celebrate the New Year in style. Watch, dance, and chow down while appreciating our talented fellow students.
Stanford Dance Marathon – Saturday, February 9 – Sunday, February 10
- The infamous annual event unites students from across campus in the common goal of fighting AIDS. And occasionally in the conga line.
- Whether you’re stickin’ it out for all 24 hours, boosting the energy as a moraler, or swinging by for some much-needed stress detox, enjoyment abounds in the form of glowsticks, pillowfights, sunrise yoga, and guest performances and dance lessons from dance groups on campus. The best all-nighter you’ve ever spent.
Austria Fortnight – various events, February 9 – 20
- The annual Viennese Ball is preceded by two weeks of free dance lessons throughout campus. Whether you’re starting from square one, brushing off your polished moves, or unabashedly seeking a last-minute valentine, these low-key practice sessions are a great way to meet new friends and get the wiggles out.
- No, not those Wiggles. We like them.
Viennese Ball – Friday, February 22, 8 p.m. – 2 a.m., Palace Hotel SF
- Perhaps Stanford’s classiest affair of the year, Viennese Ball has brought classical dance and live music to Stanford students since 1978. In its current form, Viennese features a choreographed waltz opening, tasty hor d’oeuvres, a fun photo booth, and swing and waltz rooms with live bands into the wee hours of the morning.
- Whether you’re a social dance pro or just learning, it’s a great way to meet new people, have fun with a partner, and enjoy live music in a luxurious setting. Ticket sales open next week.
Whether you’re stressed, chill, or looking for a few hours to kill, consider joining Stanford’s rich culture of dance this winter quarter. Heck, even former Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh is gettin’ his groove on.